Planning a trip to Norway

... om sesongstart, tips og råd til turer, treff, og om steder aktive MC-folk møtes.
Svar
daub
Motorsykkelen din: Valkyrie '97

Planning a trip to Norway

Legg inn av daub »

Hello!

I am an Estonian motorcycle rider, planning a trip to Norway, in July\August, and would like to check few things beforehand, as I have never been in Norway. My goal is to visit Trollstigen and Atlanterhavsveien. The general plan, so far:
Day 1 - Arrive to Stockholm by ferry, visit castle of Örebro and spend the night somewhere in Arvika area, before Norwegian border.
Day 2 - Visit railway museum and church ruins in Hamar, spend the night in Gjøvik
Day 3 - Have a tour on the steam boat, from Gjøvik, then continue to Åndalsnes area for the night.
Day 4 - Up by Trollstigen, from Vestnes to Molde, by ferry, contionue to Atlanterhavsveien, through Bud. Find acommodation before Trondheim.
Day 5 - Castle ruins in Trondheim, Hell grill, castle ruins of Steivikholm, continue towards Sweden, find acommodation somewhere near the border.
Then continue to Sundsvall and Stockholm, on the following days.

So, finally, to the point of this thread:
1. As I understand, the general speed limit is 80, as opposed to 90 in Estonia?
2. Are all emergency services from the same 112 number, or are there separate numbers for Police and Fire dept.?
3. Is the parking, in towns, paid or for free, for motorcycles?
4. How long in advance should I book camping cabins & hotels, for end of July, beginning of August.
5. Any suggestions, what to see between Gjøvik and Åndalsnes?
6. Is there anything I should know about the traffic rules/etiquette, that are not common elsewhere? Especially for narrow roads like Trollstigen.
7. What else should I be asking?

Thanks in advance for all information and tips!

Andres

Brukeravatar
Flattop
Motorsykkelen din: BMW K1200LT 2003
Sted: Vegsund, Ålesund ligger rett ved siden av meg

Re: Planning a trip to Norway

Legg inn av Flattop »

daub skrev:Hello!

I am an Estonian motorcycle rider, planning a trip to Norway, in July\August, and would like to check few things beforehand, as I have never been in Norway. My goal is to visit Trollstigen and Atlanterhavsveien. The general plan, so far:
Day 1 - Arrive to Stockholm by ferry, visit castle of Örebro and spend the night somewhere in Arvika area, before Norwegian border.
Day 2 - Visit railway museum and church ruins in Hamar, spend the night in Gjøvik
Day 3 - Have a tour on the steam boat, from Gjøvik, then continue to Åndalsnes area for the night.
Day 4 - Up by Trollstigen, from Vestnes to Molde, by ferry, contionue to Atlanterhavsveien, through Bud. Find acommodation before Trondheim.
Day 5 - Castle ruins in Trondheim, Hell grill, castle ruins of Steivikholm, continue towards Sweden, find acommodation somewhere near the border.
Then continue to Sundsvall and Stockholm, on the following days.

So, finally, to the point of this thread:
1. As I understand, the general speed limit is 80, as opposed to 90 in Estonia?
The general speed is 80. However a lot of the roads have the 70 km/h limit. But signs are set up at regular intervals so its rather easy to have accnowledge on the speedlimits at your wearabout. On the other side newer GPS units display the speedlimits where you are at, and that is rather correct displayed on Norwegian roads
2. Are all emergency services from the same 112 number, or are there separate numbers for Police and Fire dept.?
110 is the firedepartment, 112 is the police and 113 is for the medical aid. However they interact.
3. Is the parking, in towns, paid or for free, for motorcycles?
Mostly its paid parking in cities, but in smaller towns that may vary.
4. How long in advance should I book camping cabins & hotels, for end of July, beginning of August.
No need to postpone that too long. Most hotels accept that you pay at departure and accept cansellations, so theres no need to wait too long in booking.
Anyone ?
6. Is there anything I should know about the traffic rules/etiquette, that are not common elsewhere? Especially for narrow roads like Trollstigen.
Nothing that I can think of just now. Just behave and dont be too aggressive and you'll be fine. Tollroads are free for motorcycles, that is the automatic ones. And speedcameras don't register bikes. This due to that the driver, and not the owner of the vehicle is to be fined. But if taken by the police during a speedcontrol you are not free :-)
7. What else should I be asking?
Better you ask and we'll try to inform you.

Thanks in advance for all information and tips!

Andres
Bilde

Brukeravatar
sfRoyal
Motorsykkelen din: Honda VFR800Fi

Legg inn av sfRoyal »

If you're not in that much of a hurry through Trondheim, I'd choose this route, the highway from Orkanger to Trondheim is mostly tunnels, while the old roads are by the sea and offers much better views and twists/turns.
2016-12-12 11_00_17-Orkanger to Trondheim Airport, 7500 Stjørdal - Google Maps.png
2016-12-12 11_00_37-Orkanger to Trondheim Airport, 7500 Stjørdal - Google Maps.png
Du har ikke de nødvendige tillatelsene for å vise filene som er tilknyttet dette innlegget.

Brukeravatar
AJ
Administrator
Motorsykkelen din: KTM 1290 SA S, ('18), Moto Guzzi v7 850 Special 100 year Anniversary
Sted: Lunner på Hadeland
Kontakt:

Legg inn av AJ »

Hi there daub and welcome to MCsiden.no :vs

Which roads to choose between Gjøvik and Åndalsnes?
Well… how much time do you have :) ?

The fastest way to get to Åndalsnes is E6 and E136.
But this route over Valdresflye mountain pass is better and more fun:

Bilde
(Click on the image to get the route online)

(Google wouldn't let me draw the shortest and most winding road, 63, to Geiranger and Ørnesvingene past Geiranger to the ferry at Eidsdal on the way to Trollstigen and finally Åndalsnes).

But there are several alternatives and scenic routes on smaller and many winding roads to explore in Oppland between Gjøvik and Åndalsnes – if you have time to do so... ;)

MC'er:
Suzuki GSX 1100 EF, 1985 (1991), Yamaha TDM 900, 2006 (2006 - 2010), Triumph Tiger 1050 SE, 2010 (2010 - 2012), Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V, 2012 (2012 - 2015), KTM 1290 Super Adventure, 2015 (2015 - 2018), KTM 1290 Super Adventure S, 2018 (2018 - -->), KTM 390 Duke, 2021 (2021 - 2023), Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special 100 Anniversary (2023 - -->)
KTM 1290 SA S - nok en god grunn til oppmaskinering Bilde

cannon
Motorsykkelen din: Honda cbr929rr 2000, Yamaha YZF R1 2006

Legg inn av cannon »

Anyone ?

You should plan to drive "Trollstigen", and to see Trollveggen. The tripp from Gjøvik to Åndalsnes has several alternative routes. Gudbrandsdalen is a nice view, and Valdres/Valdresflya is also good.
(And from my point of view, Atlanterhavsveien is only partly Worth the trip).

Brukeravatar
Zettexx
Motorsykkelen din: ZX10R, Suki Gsx.
Sted: Søndenfor Nord

Legg inn av Zettexx »

All the above ...

Booking hotels or other rooms. Cabins at campsites...in the areas you are driving they could be hard to come by at low rates. And many close early August, or are only operating at a basic level. No fun...

I use "Booking.com" and start early. I only book rooms that have no cancellation fees. This makes planning easier. But I would start now.

Right now I'm planning an 8 day, 4000 km route, and booking hotels for a trip starting the last week in june 2017.

Welcome to Norway :vs :twothumbs: :prf

daub

Legg inn av daub »

First of all, thank you all, who have responded!
AJ skrev:..
Over here, parking is charged from motorcycles only in private parkings. So I wonder, how is that organized? Do I need to know a number to send sms\call? Or are there parking meters, like in American movies? I can't imagine placing a parking card on a fuel tank, and it not flying off there, with first breeze.

sfRoyal, thank you for the tip. Noted it on the map.
AJ skrev:Well… how much time do you have :)
Daylight. And I will try not to make much over 4h of actual riding a day, because I am not alone on the bike, and my softer half can not endure as much as me. Even though I am riding a couch now. It might work, if I stop more often, but then I might not make it to next destination before sundown. And I am worried about animals around that time.
I have looked at the route through Geiranger, but then again I feel that maybe this will reduce the impact Trollstigen will have on me?
Could these passes be closed around now? That might be the reason google will not allow to draw route through there.
cannon skrev: And from my point of view, Atlanterhavsveien is only partly Worth the trip
I do understand, that it is different on a motorcycle, than from the areal views and photos, shown in the internet, but as I am continuing towards Trondheim, it seems to fit in to the general route quite well.

Brukeravatar
sfRoyal
Motorsykkelen din: Honda VFR800Fi

Legg inn av sfRoyal »

daub skrev: Daylight. And I will try not to make much over 4h of actual riding a day, because I am not alone on the bike, and my softer half can not endure as much as me. Even though I am riding a couch now. It might work, if I stop more often, but then I might not make it to next destination before sundown. And I am worried about animals around that time.
I have looked at the route through Geiranger, but then again I feel that maybe this will reduce the impact Trollstigen will have on me?
Could these passes be closed around now? That might be the reason google will not allow to draw route through there.
Daylight won't be much of a limitation in July/August, sun rises at 3AM and sets around midnight in Trondheim mid July. :D
Trollstigen is closed for winter, and will open may/june.

This is a picture from Trollstigen preparing to open May 2010:
Trollstigen.png
Du har ikke de nødvendige tillatelsene for å vise filene som er tilknyttet dette innlegget.

Brukeravatar
gorbys
Motorsykkelen din: Suzuki GS750 E

Re: RE: Re: Planning a trip to Norway

Legg inn av gorbys »

daub skrev:First of all, thank you all, who have responded!
AJ skrev:..
Over here, parking is charged from motorcycles only in private parkings. So I wonder, how is that organized? Do I need to know a number to send sms\call? Or are there parking meters, like in American movies? I can't imagine placing a parking card on a fuel tank, and it not flying off there, with first breeze.

sfRoyal, thank you for the tip. Noted it on the map.
AJ skrev:Well… how much time do you have :)
Daylight. And I will try not to make much over 4h of actual riding a day, because I am not alone on the bike, and my softer half can not endure as much as me. Even though I am riding a couch now. It might work, if I stop more often, but then I might not make it to next destination before sundown. And I am worried about animals around that time.
cannon skrev: And from my point of view, Atlanterhavsveien is only partly Worth the trip
I do understand, that it is different on a motorcycle, than from the areal views and photos, shown in the internet, but as I am continuing towards Trondheim, it seems to fit in to the general route quite well.
Many parking spaces can be paid for using the "easypark" app on your mobile phone. That's easiest for motorcyclists as you don't need to put a ticket somewhere on your bike.

Wild animals generally aren't a concern during summer months as they often grase far away from the roads in summer. Domestic animals like cows and sheep however is a concern during summer as farmers let them loose on the mountains and they're generally pretty dumb animals who grase right on side of the road and often will stand right in the middle of the road. Also, sheepshit is slippery as hell.

I would wholeheartedly recommend you include the route to Geiranger and over to Trollstigen. If you go from Gjøvik to Beitostølen and over the valdresflya and onto the Stryn mountain down to Geiranger and over to Trollstigen you'll experience some of the most beautiful roads western Norway can offer! Also take a brake at Dalsnibba viewpoint before going down to Geiranger, spectacular view of Geiranger and the fjord.

Alot of the passes are closed for the winter yes, and I know at least Google won't let you plan a route then. Have you tried another routeplanner like viamichelin.com fex?

daub

Legg inn av daub »

Ok. I thought I'd update this thread a bit. Due to work related issues my other half can not get her vacation, at the time we initially planned. so I had to move the plans to end of June and beginning of July.
Also, greatly thanks to this thread I decided to replan my route through Geiranger. Due to this I am however toying with the idea of riding the route the other way round (Trondheim-Atlanterhavsveien-Trollstigen). But this would put me to Geiranger and Trollstigen on a weekend. Will this be a bad idea? Because I suspect there will be more traffic there, during weekend....

Brukeravatar
Zettexx
Motorsykkelen din: ZX10R, Suki Gsx.
Sted: Søndenfor Nord

Legg inn av Zettexx »

Parking and other services.

Remember that "special short" service numbers can not be called from a foreign phone.

Parking apps use these numbers, but usually also post the long numbers also.

Brukeravatar
Flattop
Motorsykkelen din: BMW K1200LT 2003
Sted: Vegsund, Ålesund ligger rett ved siden av meg

Legg inn av Flattop »

daub skrev:But this would put me to Geiranger and Trollstigen on a weekend. Will this be a bad idea? Because I suspect there will be more traffic there, during weekend....
The traffic here is'nt too much dependent whether its weekend or not. The number of Cruiseships that is in our region that is the factor here.

I tried to fint the scedule for it, but didnt manage it just now.
Bilde

evo16v
Motorsykkelen din: 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
Sted: Rennebu, Sør-Trøndelag

Legg inn av evo16v »

After Geiranger you should drive Valdrsflya (short). Or the longer route, go up to Sognefjellet and ride Tindeveien to Øvre Årdal and then Tyinvegen on your way to Gjøvik.

Valdresflya:
http://kart.finn.no/?lng=8.94998&lat=61 ... 95,6747735

Tindeveien:
http://kart.finn.no/?lng=8.83058&lat=61 ... 95,6747735
Knut Erik Halgunset

ZZR-Erling

Legg inn av ZZR-Erling »

You gonna be driving, alot!

daub

Legg inn av daub »

evo16v, I have considered the "short" option, because of riding time and I also saw an interesting wooden church at Lom, which would be a good excuse to make a stop and stretch our legs for a moment.

ZZR-Erling, I don't think it's a lot. The total distance estimation for the trip is 2500km, and that's over 8 days. I have tried to look for accommodations in places, that would keep it approximately 4h of saddle time per day. I could do more, but my passenger most likely does not want to.

Svar